Into The Pages

I will be using this blog as a reading journal to discuss the books I've read, and will be reading.

Name:
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm 26 years old, a college student at Penn State. My interests are books and the internet. I'll read any book as long as it has a good plot. My favorite is Harry Potter.. right now.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Book #3 of 2007: Tuesdays With Morrie

Title: Tuesdays With Morrie
Author: Mitch Albom

I loved this book. I hardly wanted to put it down. I started reading it the night I finished the last Narnia book, this past Sunday. I read Sunday night till about 4:30am and Ifigured I needed sleep, Monday night the same thing happened - I read till almost 1:30am and had less than 100 pages, but needing to be up at 7am this morning, I guessed I should sleep. So I took the book to school with me and finished it in my break between classes.

A lot of subjects are brought up in this book, and it makes you think a lot about the way you do things in your own life. I think the thing I like most about it is knowing that it is a true story. There are a lot of life lessons discussed, but accepting death as a part of life is a theme that is repeated. As if trying to relay that it is ok to talk about death and to accept death. One of my favorite quotes from this book, repeated in a lot of chapters is "when you learn how to die, you learn how to live". Its heavy stuff, but makes sense. When you know your time is limited you want to use every minute you have to live to the fullest, no matter what that 'living' entails.

I think this book will be one that I keep on my shelf knowing I will read it again. Its not really a make-you-feel-better book, its not meant to be. Its more of a make-you-think book, and more a make-you-think-about-things-you-don't-want-to-think-about book.

No one wants to really think about the fact they are going to die, yet everyone knows that everything that is born will eventually die. Death is a subject that I have thought about, and pretty much accepted. It is true that we are all going to die eventually. Now, whether we are ready to die when the time comes is a whole other story. Most of us don't know when that time will be, at least not while we're young (I can't say I'm going to live 60 more years, ya know), maybe when we're on death's doorstep we'll be able to say "it won't be long now", like Morrie. I don't know if I'd like to know exactly when I was going to die, but I would like to be able to say my goodbyes in person, not just in the form of what I can leave people in a will. I have some things in mind for my funeral, my burial, I've contemplated cremation, and if I do get cremated, what I'd like done with the ashes. Its not a morbid thing, its a very real thing. I'm young, young enough that I don't need to worry about dying tomorrow, but really.. how can I be so sure? Anything can happen at any time. I'm only 26, and there's nothing in writing yet because the ideas change all the time. Its not that I think about death all the time, I don't want to die, I just want things to be ready when the time eventually comes so that no one is saying "now what" when it does happen.

I would definitely reccommend this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home