Into The Pages

I will be using this blog as a reading journal to discuss the books I've read, and will be reading.

Name:
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm 26 years old, a college student at Penn State. My interests are books and the internet. I'll read any book as long as it has a good plot. My favorite is Harry Potter.. right now.

Monday, January 01, 2007

First completed book of 2007

Ok, so as you can tell, 52 books last year did NOT work out. School got absolutely crazy and I didn't have enough time to read the books I wanted to. I'm going to try to manage my time better to be able to read the books I'd like to. I'm not going to say I'm going to attempt 52 books again, I'll just say I plan to read more books in 2007 than I did in 2006. That shouldn't be too hard.

So, I'm going to start off with the first book I finished in 2007. I started this book last month, and finished it tonight (technically 12/31), but I believe it was after midnight. I wasn't home, I was actually playing bingo and reading during the breaks.

#1
Title: The Chronicles of Narnia - Book 1: The Magician's Nephew
Authors: C.S. Lewis
Rating: 2.5/5 stars

I decided to start reading this series because the set has been sitting on my shelf for a while, and it was so widely talked about when the movie came out (which I have NOT seen) and they are supposed to be great books. I read a lot of reviews and opinions online and sometimes pick up a book based on those. I got this whole set as one selection from a book club, so i figured it was worth it even if I ended up not liking them.

Well, book 1 was... Ok. It started off kinda slow, jumped around a bit in places, went back to the place where it jumped. It is written in the 3rd person objective POV where the narrorator is telling the story and is talking to the reader. The position that the narrorator takes is that he/she has spoken with the characters and is re-telling the story. This is why there were side notes in parenthesis pointing to something one of the characters said within a description like (as Digory would tell you if he were here) or (like Polly says when she speaks of the event) or something like that, as well as times where as the story is being told the narrorator says now we'll leave this and come back to it in a bit.. then goes on with the story involving the other characters as if the part that was left wasn't left.. and THEN when you've probably forgotten the part/character was left the narrorator will say something like 'and now lets go back to where we left uncle andrew' and re-tell the part you've just read with something else that was happening either to the left character or from the point of view (or re-told story) of said left character.

In parts, it does get better, and within the last 2 chapters it does get much better. I'm guessing that really, the whole book 1 is background information that won't be referenced again, with the exception of the events that happened in the last 3 chapters - ESPECIALLY the very last chapter titled "the end of this story and the beginning of the others". That chapter pretty much tells you, ok, this book was alllll background, and this here chapter is going to tell you what you need to know to read the rest of the books, because those are where the real story is. The whole chapter is like 3 pages or so, and its the last paragraph that clues you in. If you've seen commercials for the movie, or know the title of the second book (probably the most popular of the series), you can see instantly what is important to the rest of the series.

I will be starting book 2 - The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home