Into The Pages

I will be using this blog as a reading journal to discuss the books I've read, and will be reading.

Name:
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm 26 years old, a college student at Penn State. My interests are books and the internet. I'll read any book as long as it has a good plot. My favorite is Harry Potter.. right now.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Book #5 of 2007: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Author: J.K. Rowling

Ok, yes, this is a re-read. I've been going to mugglenet.com on a daily basis checking up on all the news about the upcoming release of the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, AND the 5th movie (Order of the Phoenix) and have been wanting to re-read that book before I saw the movie. This will be the first movie that I've seen AFTER having read the book. And now I've read it twice. :)

I know I went into details in earlier blogs from last year. This is my favorite of the series so far, its really the turning point in the series, where the story gets darker and more involved. I realize that many think that Goblet of Fire is the turning point, but its only the beginning of the turn.

In this book you see the true evil that is Lord Volidmort. As well as the corrupted Ministry of Magic. Its kind of strange that I was re-reading this book now, many months before the July release of the movie and book 7, because I am also reading (well not cover-to-cover reading, more of like class assignement reading) a book called Democracy In America in my American Studies class. On the surface, they books are NOT similiar at ALL. And really, they aren't. Democracy in America is written by a french guy in 1836, he talks about America as he observes it as an outsider. How American democracy works and other such things. To me, its a really long and boring book that I have to read in/for class and know certain things out of because we'll be tested on them. I mean we need to memorize quotes and stuff, I'm actually highlighting in this book and I don't feel like I'm defacing it LOL.. I'd cry if there were marks inside any of my HP books. *On a side note, I can quote at least something out of each HP novel, without ever having to make a mark in it. LOL. Anyway, back to Order of the Phoenix.. I do most of my personal reading at night before bed, or after I do homework, and since the subject matter of the books is SO different I don't get them confused. But, when my mind is left to wander, as it often does, I start to think about the deeper words of the HP books. In OOTP, we see the Wizard government, The Ministry of Magic. Yeah we've heard about it before, heard about some laws before, seen Fudge before, but never really understood what the whole thing was about. In OOTP they really come out, you get to see that they are a corrupt type of governement. With war impending, they are trying to cover up how close the true enemy really is, their are spies on both sides, but who is really on what side.. things like that. The ministry trying to take over at the school, only to find out that they very person the ministry put there is the one that attempted to get Harry thrown out. Its kinda of like a conspiracy. But isn't our government like that in a way? Laws keep getting passed, and we don't always know what is going on. We've got soldiers fighting a war overseas and all we hear about is the death count.. not so much as a clue as to when our soldiers will be brought home. 9/11/01 was 6 years ago, and there is still so much information that we don't know.

Yeah, it is a dangerous thing when my mind wanders.. and I'm kinda tired on top of it all..

Anyway, yeah.. soo I'm still reading, and I think at this point I've read more books in a month and a half than I read in a whole year last year. Yay for me. And now its time for bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home